As part of supporting and promoting the HAPPY FLOW CAMPAIGN on Menstrual Health as a Sexual & Reproductive Health and Human Rights issue:
SRHR Africa Trust (SAT), Sex Rights Africa Network, AIDS Foundation of South Africa, Katswe Sistahood and Pepeta Africa are calling on the members of the African Union Commission, the East African Legislative Assembly, and the SADC Parliamentary Forum to:
- Publicly pledge support for free sanitary wear for everyone who needs it.
- Immediately end taxation on sanitary products
- Provide free, quality sanitary wear in all schools, tertiary institutions, workplaces, restrooms and public buildings (wherever free condoms are available!)
- Ensure access to hygienic disposal facilities, clean water and sanitation
- Procure quality sanitary wear only from socially and environmentally responsible companies
- Create opportunities for local communities to become partners in the production and sale of quality sanitary wear, contributing to skills development and creating work opportunities
- Invest in the development of local, economically and environmentally sustainable products
We call on you to turn the promises you have made in international commitments on sexual and reproductive health over many decades into reality.
Menstruation is not a problem. No one would be here without it. Menstrual health should be prioritized like any other health need.
This petition is a contribution to ongoing efforts at local, national, regional and international level to make menstrual health rights and all sexual and reproductive health rights real for everyone.
Please click on this link to sign this petition and circulate it widely: